National Jeweler Network

Market Developments

Four charged in VA jewelry store shooting

By Brecken Branstrator

May 09, 2014

Four suspects have been arrested in connection with Monday’s murder of a Richmond, Va. jewelry store employee. The suspects are, clockwise from top left: Anthony Lenard, Jermeaka Gorham, Paul Townes and Jesse G. Edmond.

Richmond, Va.--Richmond police have arrested and charged four people in connection with the recent murder of 29-year-old Muhammad Baig, an employee at Victoria Jewelers.

Jesse G. Edmond, 49; Anthony J. Lenard, 26; and Jermeaka M. Gorham, 28, were arrested Tuesday afternoon in Roanoke Rapids, N.C., after police identified their vehicle and pulled it over during a planned traffic stop. 

“Talking and working with Henrico County, we were able to compare some notes and develop a suspect vehicle related to an incident they had in Henrico County earlier the same day,” Richmond Police Major Steve Drew said during a news conference Wednesday.

According to one local news report, Gorham allegedly attempted to rob a bank in Henrico County in Virginia on Monday, the same day Baig was killed. Bank security obtained her license plate number, which showed that it was a rental car equipped with a GPS system. This car reportedly was seen on Broad Street near Victoria Jewelers later in the day.

Investigators said they found evidence in the vehicle that ties it and the three individuals directly to the Victoria Jewelers incident, though they gave no details on what was found. 

The three suspects are being extradited to Richmond.

On Wednesday night in Richmond, the U.S. Marshal’s Regional Fugitive Task Force took a fourth suspect into custody, 24-year-old Paul L. Townes Jr.

All four suspects are being charged with conspiracy to commit murder. The investigation is ongoing.

RELATED CONTENT: Jewelry store employee killed during robbery

Baig was shot in an apparent robbery Monday afternoon at the jewelry store. Local news sources reported that Baig’s wife gave birth to his daughter less than 24 hours after he was killed. The couple also has a young son.