Sourcing

Exelco Int’l Follows N. America Subsidiary into Chapter 11

SourcingDec 13, 2017

Exelco Int’l Follows N. America Subsidiary into Chapter 11

The diamond company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last week in Delaware.

Wilmington, Del.--Exelco International Ltd. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Delaware last week, less than three months after the filing of its North American subsidiary.

Also filing for bankruptcy that same day was Hong Kong-headquartered Exelco (Asia) Ltd., which lists Exelco International as its parent company.
Exelco International’s Chapter 11 petition states that its headquarters are in Ebene, Mauritius, an island in the Indian Ocean off the southeast coast of Africa known for being a tax haven.

The company has between one and 49 creditors, and its assets and liabilities are within the same range, between $10 million and $50 million, court documents show.

Exelco International holds around 2 percent of the company, with the other 98 percent owned by co-founders Jean-Paul Tolkowsky (49 percent), the master diamond cutter, and Lior Kunstler (49 percent).

Kris Cuyvers, an external financial advisor, is listed as the chief restructuring officer for Exelco International, and the company is represented by the same attorneys as its North American subsidiary, Michael Nestor with the firm of Young Conaway Stargatt & Taylor LLP in Delaware and the firm of Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP out of New York.

Exelco North America, along with Exelco NV, FTK Worldwide Manufacturing BVBA and Ideal Diamond Trading USA, filed Chapter 11 in late September.

On Nov. 28, Exelco told the court it had found a $6 million stalking horse bidder in closeout company SimplexDiam, but its lender, KBC Bank NV, has moved to block that sale.

Michelle Graffis the editor-in-chief at National Jeweler, directing the publication’s coverage both online and in print.

The Latest

Events & AwardsDec 03, 2021
JA New York's Spring Show to Return in 2022

The New Designer Gallery will also make its comeback.

Events & AwardsDec 03, 2021
Gary Roskin Will Receive the 2022 Bonanno Award

Roskin heads the International Colored Gemstone Association, and is a graduate gemologist, author, journalist, and diamond grading expert.

Policies & IssuesDec 03, 2021
Alliance for Responsible Mining Names New Executive Director

Gina D’Amato joins with more than 15 years of experience in sustainable development.

Brought to you by
Train Your Staff Today with Interactive eLearning

Join the prestigious brands, industry organizations and sellers using IGI’s educational services.

CollectionsDec 03, 2021
Piece of the Week: Angely Martinez’s Island Bar Ring

The designer’s memories of beach trips and nature in the Dominican Republic inspired her new opal and pearl collection, “Aqualescence.”

Weekly QuizDec 02, 2021
This Week's Quiz
Test your knowledge of jewelry news from the week of Nov. 29-Dec. 3, 2021.
Take the Quiz
FinancialsDec 02, 2021
Signet Raises Guidance Again, Expands Selection of Lab-Grown Diamonds

Its additions include an exclusive lab-grown diamond cut for Zales’ “Vera Wang True” line and a lab-grown option for Kay’s “Leo” cut.

TrendsDec 02, 2021
A New Book on Lover’s Eyes Jewelry Is Out Now

“Lover’s Eyes: Eye Miniatures from the Skier Collection” features more than 130 examples of the much-sought-after antique style.

Brought to you by
3 Tips For Entering the Estate Market

Generate foot traffic and expand your jewelry expertise by adding an estate assortment to your store in partnership with Windsor Jewelers, Inc.

SurveysDec 02, 2021
2021 Will Be the ‘Year of Jewelry,’ Analyst Says

Edahn Golan forecasts a blockbuster holiday season will cap off a stellar year for U.S. jewelry sales.

×