By Ashley Davis
This 169-carat rough diamond is the seventh diamond over 100 carats Gem Diamonds Ltd. has recovered in 2018.
London--Right on the heels of the $40 million sale of the 910-carat diamond called “The Lesotho Legend,” Gem Diamonds Ltd. has announced the recovery of its seventh rough diamond weighing more than 100 carats in 2018.

The latest find weighs 169 carats and is a “top white color,” the London-based miner said.

The Type IIA stone was recovered from the Letšeng mine in Lesotho, of which Gem Diamonds Ltd. owns 70 percent, with the Lesotho government owning the remaining 30 percent.

The Letšeng mine is the highest dollar-per-carat kimberlite diamond mine in the world.

So far this year, Gem Diamonds Ltd. recovered a 110-carat and 117-carat stone, each Type IIa, D color.

Then, it discovered “The Lesotho Legend,” followed by the recovery of a 149-carat, Type IIa, D color stone.

A fifth diamond of more than 100 carats wasn’t gem quality, but earlier this week, the miner unearthed a Type IIa diamond weighing 152 carats and said to be of top color.

Get the Daily News >
National Jeweler

Fine Jewelry Industry News

Since 1906, National Jeweler has been the must-read news source for smart jewelry professionals--jewelry retailers, designers, buyers, manufacturers, and suppliers. From market analysis to emerging jewelry trends, we cover the important industry topics vital to the everyday success of jewelry professionals worldwide. National Jeweler delivers the most urgent jewelry news necessary for running your day-to-day jewelry business here, and via our daily e-newsletter, website and other specialty publications, such as "The State of the Majors." National Jeweler is published by Jewelers of America, the leading nonprofit jewelry association in the United States.