Day’s Jewelers Assistant Buyer Lindsay Nodden said: “I think the reason why we won (one of the) Best Places to Work in Maine is because people genuinely enjoy their jobs here. How could you not, working with beautiful things and amazing people every day!”
Waterville, M.E.--Day’s Jewelers must be doing something right.

For the third time, the company has been selected as one of the Best Places to Work in Maine by the Society for Human Resource Management-Maine State Council and the Best Companies Group.

The awards program was started in 2006. Day’s Jewelers previously took home honors in 2014 and 2015.

The selection process involves reviewing companies’ policies, practices and demographics, which accounts for 25 percent of the overall score. The remaining 75 percent consists of an employee survey to measure workplace satisfaction.

“Receiving this award is truly an honor, but mostly it’s a tribute to the 140 employees who work at Day’s,” said Kathy Corey, one of the company owners. “They are the real heroes.”
RELATED CONTENT: 50 Jewelers/50 States: Maine
Corey’s husband and co-owner Jeff Corey commented: “Kathy, my brother Jim and I were raised in the St. John Valley in northern Maine where family is such an important part of the local culture. The three of us, along with my five other siblings, worked together in my mom and dad’s business, Robert’s Jewelry in Madawaska. Family has always been important to us. As we’ve built Day’s over the years, it was our goal to create a family environment among our staff.”

Human Resources Director Kristie Jandreau echoed this sentiment.

“Day’s employees often describe their co-workers as family,” she said. “We are surrounded by beautiful gems, sparkling diamonds, and the latest fashion accessories. We spend our work days in luxurious showrooms with guests looking for that special piece to commemorate an important occasion or symbol of their love. Relationships are formed with our guests that last for many years. Day’s employees enjoy people and building relationships with our guests and with each other.”

In their interview for National Jeweler’s 50 Jewelers/50 States series, the Coreys explained the importance of empowering their younger employees, which is felt among the staff.

Photographer and Content Producer Brian Chick said: “We are given the tools and support to succeed with in-house training and continued education outside of the workplace.”

And at the Atlanta Jewelry Show in March, Day’s President David Harris gave a presentation on the retailer’s strategy for finding, and keeping, good employees.

An awards ceremony scheduled for Oct. 10 will honor all the companies named as the 2017 Best Places to Work in Maine.

Get the Daily News >
National Jeweler

Fine Jewelry Industry News

Since 1906, National Jeweler has been the must-read news source for smart jewelry professionals--jewelry retailers, designers, buyers, manufacturers, and suppliers. From market analysis to emerging jewelry trends, we cover the important industry topics vital to the everyday success of jewelry professionals worldwide. National Jeweler delivers the most urgent jewelry news necessary for running your day-to-day jewelry business here, and via our daily e-newsletter, website and other specialty publications, such as "The State of the Majors." National Jeweler is published by Jewelers of America, the leading nonprofit jewelry association in the United States.