Here, Lucapa’s latest diamond find--a nearly 90-carat yellow diamond from the Mothae Diamond Project in Lesotho--is weighed.
New York—Lucapa’s latest diamond mining news involves another megawatt diamond being discovered in Lesotho.

Lucapa announced last week it recovered an 89.75-carat yellow diamond from the Mothae Diamond Project.

Lucapa owns 70 percent of the site, while the government of Lesotho owns the remaining 30 percent.

The miner said the diamond was uncovered in the current bulk sampling program. The project is intended to “expand and improve” Mothae by processing locations that haven’t been sampled enough in the past or were not originally included in the area.

Lucapa said the construction of Mothae’s new 150-ton-per-hour diamond plant is on schedule for commissioning in the second half of 2018.

“Having recently recovered a 25-carat yellow diamond from the previously untested neck zone in our bulk sampling program, we are tremendously encouraged that this 89-carat diamond was recovered from the southeast zone, an area of the Mothae kimberlite pipe where there has been very limited historical testing,” Lucapa Managing Director Stephen Wetherall said.

The 89-carat stone was found in the first few days of processing from the southeast area.

Wetherall continued, “This underlines our belief in Mothae. It also vindicates Lucapa’s decision to commit resources to the additional bulk sampling program as construction of our new 150-ton-per-hour commercial diamond plant continues on schedule.”

Mothae neighbors the Letšeng mine, known for yielding big diamonds, including a number weighing more than 100 carats.

220180703 lucapa 89carat 2The Mothae Diamond Project is currently in the testing phase but is on track for commissioning in the second half of the year, Lucapa said.

Get the Daily News >
National Jeweler

Fine Jewelry Industry News

Since 1906, National Jeweler has been the must-read news source for smart jewelry professionals--jewelry retailers, designers, buyers, manufacturers, and suppliers. From market analysis to emerging jewelry trends, we cover the important industry topics vital to the everyday success of jewelry professionals worldwide. National Jeweler delivers the most urgent jewelry news necessary for running your day-to-day jewelry business here, and via our daily e-newsletter, website and other specialty publications, such as "The State of the Majors." National Jeweler is published by Jewelers of America, the leading nonprofit jewelry association in the United States.