A photo of the 95.31-carat white “top clarity” diamond recovered from Gahcho Kué, the new diamond mine in Canada operated by De Beers and Mountain Province Diamond.
Toronto--Gahcho Kué, the diamond mine in Canada co-owned by De Beers and Mountain Province Diamonds, has yielded its largest gem-quality stone to date.

A 95.21-carat rough white octahedron diamond of “top clarity,” was found at the mine last month, Mountain Province announced May 30.

In addition to being the largest gem-quality diamond found since diamond mining commenced at Gahcho Kué two years ago, it is the fourth largest stone found there overall.
RELATED CONTENT: 50-Carat Diamond Found at New Mine
“The recovery of this diamond firmly establishes Mountain Province as a reliable producer of exceptional, high-quality Canadian diamonds in very large sizes and bodes well for the future discovery of similar gems,” Reid Mackie, the company’s vice president of diamond marketing, said in a company statement.

Mountain Province said the diamond was in the fancies and specials parcels it acquired in the most recent production split. It will be presented for sale at the company’s upcoming rough diamond tender in Antwerp, with viewings scheduled to be held there June 11 to 22.

Located in Canada’s Northwest Territories, the opening of Gahcho Kué in September 2016 was major diamond mining news, as it was the largest diamond mine worldwide to open in the last 13 years.

It is expected to produce about 54 million carats of rough diamonds over its 13-year lifespan.

Mountain Province owns 49 percent of the mine while De Beers holds the remaining 51 percent. Next year, Gahcho Kué will become De Beers’ only remaining active diamond mine in Canada following the planned closing of the open-pit Victor mine and the mothballing of operations at Snap Lake.

|Subscribe >
National Jeweler

Fine Jewelry Industry News

Since 1906, National Jeweler has been the must-read news source for smart jewelry professionals--jewelry retailers, designers, buyers, manufacturers, and suppliers. From market analysis to emerging jewelry trends, we cover the important industry topics vital to the everyday success of jewelry professionals worldwide. National Jeweler delivers the most urgent jewelry news necessary for running your day-to-day jewelry business here, and via our daily e-newsletter, website and other specialty publications, such as "The State of the Majors." National Jeweler is published by Jewelers of America, the leading nonprofit jewelry association in the United States.