The Dec. 1 jewelry sale at Bonhams-owned Bruun Rasmussen will have several other pieces of royal jewelry on the block.
Private Equity Firm to Buy Majority Stake in Breitling
CVC Capital Partners is set to acquire an 80 percent stake in Breitling SA, one of the world’s last family-owned Swiss watch companies.
Grenchen, Switzerland--And then there was one less.
Private equity firm CVC Capital Partners is set to acquire an 80 percent stake in Breitling SA, one of the world’s last family-owned Swiss watch companies. Théodore Schneider, the current majority owner of Breitling, will reinvest in the company, taking the remaining 20 percent.
Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, though Bloomberg reported the deal to be worth $870 million.
It is expected to close in June and is subject to approval by the relevant competition authorities.
Breitling has its headquarters in Grenchen, Switzerland, with manufacturing facilities in Grenchen and La Chaux-de-Fonds. Its U.S. headquarters are in Wilton, Connecticut.
The company employs about 900 people.
Commenting on the transaction, Schneider said: “CVC’s expertise, track record and international network will help unlock Breitling’s full potential.”
Headquartered in Luxembourg, CVC Capital Partners invests in companies in North America, Europe and Asia. Its current portfolio includes BJ’s Wholesale Club and pet supply chain Petco.
Breitling was founded in 1884 by Léon Breitling and is known for producing big, bold men’s watches.
The company was bought by Ernest Schneider in 1979. Schneider died in May 2015 after nearly four decades of involvement with Breitling and it is now his son, Théodore, who runs the company.
The brand’s niche is aviation. Breitling has its own jet team, and counts actor, pilot and aviation enthusiast John Travolta and astronaut brothers Mark and Scott Kelly among its ambassadors.
Rumors that the family-owned brand might be going up for sale began swirling last November, though a Bloomberg story published at that time stated that the 133-year-old watch brand likely would be purchased by a larger company that owns other watch brands, like Swatch Group, LVMH or Kering, not a private equity firm.
Its Q3 sales dipped as inflation took its toll on shoppers in the U.S. and Europe.
From laboratory-grown diamonds to design to country-of-origin, GIA's Alumni Collective™ has a seminar to suite your needs.
The S.S. Central America sank in 1857 off the coast of South Carolina, carrying tons of gold from the California Gold Rush.
Give your customers the best diamond buying experience this holiday season.
Plus, see this year’s list of nominees for the Jewelry Design, Media Excellence, and Retail Excellence awards.
Debuting today, it is open to Provenance Proof blockchain users.
Assure is the program the Natural Diamond Council launched in 2019 to test lab-grown diamond screening devices.
Intercept Silver & Jewelry Care distributes anti-corrosion and anti-tarnish products.
Senior Editor Brecken Branstrator’s highlights include a chrome tourmaline ring, a giant opal necklace, and an American mined stone.
Police in Calumet City, Illinois are looking for several suspects involved in the robbery of a jewelry store in the River Oaks Mall.
The discoveries were outlined in the Lab Notes section of the fall 2022 issue of Gems & Gemology.
The temporary space in New York’s Diamond District lets shoppers trade in one authenticated luxury item for another.
Lake Dai, who teaches at Carnegie Mellon University, joins the board alongside Rosy Blue Managing Director Russell Mehta.
It follows a few other notable fancy color diamonds at auction this fall, with mixed results.
Serpentine Jewels has branched out from its private jeweler beginnings to a ready-to-wear collection and a Connecticut townhouse.
The Cultured Pearl Association of America held its 13th annual International Pearl Design Competition this fall.
A great custom design experience starts with listening to your customers, Duvall O’Steen and Jen Cullen Williams say.